Launched in 2002, REPs is an independent, public register which recognizes the qualifications and expertise of health-enhancing exercise instructors in the UK. REPs provides a system of regulation for instructors and trainers to ensure that they meet the health and fitness industry’s agreed National Occupational Standards.
REPs provides an assurance and confidence to the public and employers that all professionals on the Register are appropriately qualified and have the knowledge, competence and skills to perform their role effectively.
REPs was developed to protect the public from ‘cowboy trainers’ who do not hold appropriate qualifications. As well as protecting the public, REPs was also established to recognize the qualifications and skills of exercise professionals.
The National Occupational Standards (NOS) are agreed by the industry and describe the knowledge, competencies and skills required to perform specific job roles underpinning the REPs categories. These are developed by SkillsActive, the Sector Skills Council for Active Leisure and Wellbeing.
These NOS are then developed into qualifications by awarding organisations which accredit training providers to deliver quality assured training courses that meet the NOS.
A REPs membership is considered the badge of professionalism by the fitness industry. A REPs membership will also help enhance your employment prospects, with a range of exercise and fitness facilities only employing REPs members.
REPs membership can provide more than just a badge to enhance your professional image. It differentiates you from someone with little or no training.
Being a member of REPs means that you have:
- Meet the agreed National Occupational Standards, which describe the knowledge, competence and skills of good practice
- Hold recognised and approved qualifications
- Are competent in the work place
- Are committed to ongoing professional development
The benefits of joining REPs
- Legal helpline – Advice, assistance and counselling when you need it
- Training portal – Research your training options and access high quality CPD by searching our list of REPs’ recognised Training Providers approved by SkillsActive
- Journals, resources and support – Receive journals (directly to your door) and regular e-zines
- Conventions – Opportunities to attend industry conventions engaging and focusing on a range of areas within the industry
- Research – Want to know more about your industry? You can compare your own position with that of others and see gaps in the market through our Working in Fitness Survey and UK Skills Analysis. Have your say in our surveys. Your opinion matters to us
- Discounts – Receive exclusive discounts on leading high street and fitness brands, fitness equipment, health care and much more!
- Your public profile – create a searchable profile page including an e-mail link without having to share your details. You can add a photo, information about your services and links to your social media sites so potential clients can directly contact you
The International Confederation of Registers of Exercise Professionals (ICREPS) is an international partnership between registration bodies around the world that register exercise professionals.
The purpose of ICREPS is to promote portability of qualified exercise professionals through the co-operation and affiliation of national registration schemes. ICREPS exists to serve the worldwide community of exercise professionals through an agreed framework of knowledge and competency standards which are set for professionals and agreed nationally. These standards have been mapped and form the basis of reciprocal agreements. They are recognised through an independent registration process.
The members of the Confederation are the registers for exercise professionals operating in:
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- European Union Register which is known as EREPs
- South Africa